Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Forgiven + Mint


I recently got a call from my wife. She had discovered through our daughter that our 3rd grade son had been throwing peanuts on the bus & using an in appropriate word in an effort to impress some older girls. When asked he admitted as much. 

As parents, we wanted to find an appropriate way to redirect and discipline him in an effective, grace filled manner. After a brainstorming session we agreed on a plan.  We directed him write two apology letters. One to the bus driver who is a grumpy, unhappy old man and the second letter was to the principal of his K-8 Lutheran School.  Naturally our son had an extreme aversion to our solution. He cried a good deal but eventually, under his mothers direction, he wrote the following letters of apology:

Dear Bus driver,
Today I made a bad choice. I threw peanuts on the bus. It was wrong because I didn't obey the rules. Will you forgive me and I won't do it again?
Jaden 

Dear Mr. Pallace,
Today I made a bad choice. I threw peanuts on the bus. It was wrong because I didn't obey the rules and I didn't represent St. John's well. Will you forgive me and I won't do it again?
Jaden 

Upon receiving the letter the bus driver glanced at it and threw it away. He did not acknowledge it or our son's request.  Not exactly the mature reaction we were hoping for but at least our son got an opportunity to practice mature repenting and asking for forgiveness. The added bonus was that the bus driver had the opportunity to see how grace might look outside of his apparently miserable world. 

The principal's reaction was just the opposite of the bus driver and to us it was pure gold. He said, "Yes I forgive you." He followed forgiveness by saying, "You are a good kid." Then as our son was walking out the door the principal gave gave him a mint to enjoy. That was big deal. "I felt so much better after that" our son sighed. 

Yes, it feels good to own up to our guilt, face up to our fears, and swallow our pride by stepping up to confess the wrong we've done. Asking forgiveness from God and people brings relief and restores relationships.  It's God's plan and it works wonders because that's what God does, work wonders. 

What is even better is when we experience grace we can't possibly earn or even explain. It's like we deserve punishment and shame and not only are we forgiven but we get a "mint" instead. The Bible clearly explains that all wrong doing deserves punishment but through faith in Jesus we are undeservedly forgiven and invited into the restoration process that ultimately brings joy and peace.  Initiating the process usually isn't fun and, indeed, is often painful yet sometimes you get a happy surprise. You get an unexplained blessing. Not only is your conscience unburdened, you are forgiven, relationships are healed and sometimes you get a "mint", a unexpected blessing.

What is your story? How have you received a "mint" from God?

Thank you loving and Gracious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for your bountiful grace, your forgiveness and your gift of inexhaustible joy. 

Can I have a mint?

No comments:

Post a Comment